Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Teenagers with Cystic Fibrosis


I have found a wonderful online resource/support group for people affected by CF. Tonight I entered the "Teenager" forum for kids with CF and was devastated to hear their pain, hopelessness and frustration. I know life will be different for Froggy, because of the new treatments, but it breaks my heart to know these kids are dealing with sickness and death at such a young age. A teenage boy called "CFBOY" left the following message:


"what is the point of life, especially for us? we feel so much pain to live just to feel more pain. honestly if i knew i was goin to heaven i would kill myself now. what does everyone else think on this subject?" -CFBOY

The response to his message was overwhelming. Kids w/cf, parents, friends all left uplifting messages that concluded life is worth living.

This was my reply:

I don't know the answer to your question, cfboy. I am glad your belief system will keep you from ending your life. When my baby was diagnosed with cf ten months ago, my first thought was to drive our car off the pier and into the ocean. I wanted to save her a lifetime of pain. I imagined our car sinking into the sea, and the suffering from which I would be saving her. And I wanted to die too, because the thought of losing her was unbearable, worse than death. But later, after sleeping, and crying, and looking into her sweet face, I realized that killing ourselves might save us from suffering, but I would also be stealing her moments of joy, wonder, and love. I never would have imagined that the last ten months could be so beautiful, even in the midst of chaos. And I believe you still have these moments waiting for you in life. We have no idea what tomorrow will bring. I know it's a cliche, but it's true. And from a mother who loves her child more than the world itself, let me tell you, each day that you are alive, is a day the people who love you, find worth living. I hope you will too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this brings tears to my eyes which are now streaming down my face. what a well written and inspiring response to the writer. thanks fo sharing. jcn