Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Herman


DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT


Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,


Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright


Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,


And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight


Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
And you, my father, there on the sad height,


Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

-Dylan Thomas


Our good friend Herman died tonight at the age of 96. He was the most charming man I've ever met.

I loved Herman because he was geniusly funny, endearing, and made everyone around him feel lucky to be alive.

Herman could talk for hours about his beloved wife Annette (who died three years ago) and how she was the best thing that ever happened to him. They were married sixty-six years and tonight I know they are making up for lost time. I am so happy for them, and sad for us.

He was absolutely one of a kind. There will never be another Herman Brown.

6 comments:

Casey said...

What a great tribute to an amazing sounding man. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Mieke said...

I sob to see that picture E. I sob. We have lost a wonderful man. We should all be loved the way that Annette was. We should all enjoy life and revel in it the way Hermie did. I sob for us and rejoice for Annette and Herman. They dance tonight!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your memories of this wonderful man. jcn

MONSTER said...

So sorry to hear about your loss, he sounds like he was someone that enriched the lives of people around him. Great post. BIG HUG.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Elise. Well said. I know Hermie made an indelible mark on your heart, just as he did on mine.

Casey said...

Hey Elise,
I'm getting concerned about you - it's rare that sucha long time span goes by between postings. Everything ok?
-Casey