Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Couple ends marriage for health reasons

Read this article.

FD and I have actually discussed this option. Hopefully, it will never come to this.

When FD starts working in June, we will lose CA. Children's Services and Medicare for Froggy.

Without that help, even with his income, we may not be able to afford the high co-pays for her meds. The average cost of medication alone for a kiddo with CF is more than $65,000 a year. So think about that, even a small percentage of $65,000 would wipe us out.

We have no idea yet how her medical coverage will be, so I'm jumping the gun. But obviously, we'll do whatever it takes to get Froggy the best care, without us living in a van down by the river.

4 comments:

The DutchMac Tribe said...

That just absolutely disgusts me. Good news is, I got my absentee ballot yesterday, so I can now officially make my voice heard (or not, as the case may be). Anyway, I'll do everything I can to try to stop this kind of insanity.

I'll be thinking of you!

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

That is just insane. It just blows my mind. By the way, I don't know if you saw Oprah the other day, but she did a show on overwhelmed moms, and I thought of you and everything you have to deal with. I hope you got a little break when your sister was there!

fleetfeet said...

I have heard of this and it makes me incredibly sad. I knew a couple who divorced after 35 years of marriage because she had MS. He divorced her in order to be able to provide her with care in his home and not have to put his wife in a nursing home.

Thinking of you...

About Scott Malchus said...

All I can say is keep the faith. Those cliches like "taking it one day at a time" and "doing what it takes" always come to mind when I hear of stories like this one.