Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tooting My Own Horn

An essay I wrote "One Rubber Ducky at a Time" was published in LA Parent. It won the "My Mommy Moment" contest, and I've been asked to read it after a production of a local play. And if that wasn't awesome enough, I get a free one-hour microdermabrasion facial. And they come to me. Oh yes, living the high life now!

Don't be surprised if I'm just too too popular to blog. Soon I'll be featured in The New Yorker, hobnobbing at Hollywood parties, staying at our rich friend's chateau in France, pitching script ideas to Meryl, Al and Oprah, and of course I'll have my book tours, and host Saturday Night Live with musical guest U-2, Letterman appearances, etc, etc. But don't worry, I'll be sure to thank the "little people" who read my stuff when I was just a nobody.

Seriously, it feels good to see something I wrote in print, because most of my life's work is in a filing cabinet, drawer, or shoved into a shoe box in my closet. And as all of you writers, artists, musicians, dancers know, sometimes even a little spotlight is enough to encourage you to pick up the pen, brush, guitar or tu-tu, and keep on creating. (and for my dancer friends, I know you don't really wear tu-tu's. It just sounded better than old haggard sweats and worn out shoes.)

If you want to check out my essay, just click on THIS, and then click on the LA City Edition. My article is on page 26.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! congratulations. huge!! jcn

Mieke said...

HIP HIP HOORAY!!! I am so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Elise!! That is awesome! :) I want to read the essay but it's asking me to download some software and I cannot do that at work. Can you email me a copy of the essay by any chance? Enjoy the facial!! Cya soon. :)

Anonymous said...

ha..that ananymous is me..tina! :)

Froggymama said...

Yeah, and I picked up about 40 copies, so I can mail it to you too. :)

The DutchMac Tribe said...

Yea for you! YIPPEE! Congrats! Hoera! (had to get the Dutch-ness in)

Anonymous said...

the essay is BRILLIANT. just read it over on mieke's blog. (i was unable to get it through this link.) congrats again. TERIFIC...and i love how well you captured mieke! jcn