Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Say Ahhhhh

Today we had our CF appointment at Children's Hospital.

Froggy is 24lbs and 32.7 inches. She's in the 25th percentile for weight and 50 percentile for height.

Our doc said she has NEVER seen a CF kid grow so fast. When we were in the hospital with her at four months, she was 7 lbs. 11oz. That's the exact weight I was at birth. She was completely off the charts, in both weight and height. Now, she's a tank. Okay, not a tank, but maybe a jeep, or a sensible sedan.

We told our CF dietitian that Froggy loves avocado, peanut butter, roast beef, cheese and anything salty. She almost fell off her chair with delight. She said Froggy's body/mass/index is great. The BMI has a lot to do with lung health. For some reason, CF kids who have a higher bmi, have better lung health. No one really knows why they are connected, but docs like CF'ers to be atleast in the 50 percentile for height and weight. The dietitian measured Froggydadda and Froggymama's bmi (when we were 18 years old) and FD's was 20.8, mine was 17.8. Which means nothing to me. But it's the equivalent of me being in the 10th percentile for weight, and FD in the 25% for weight. So genetically, the fact that Froggy is in the 25th, even with CF is outstanding.

We won't find out the results from her throat swab for another week, so please say a little prayer, chant, howl at the moon, that it's negative for pseudomonas and all the other nasty little bacterias.

Froggy was an angel at her appointment. I dressed her in a t-shirt that says, "I'm kind of a big deal" for the occasion. And she lived up to it. She stood on the big girl scale, let the nurse take her temp, oxygen level, blood pressure, height, listen to her lungs and heart and even the throat swab was painless, well, she cried for about 3 seconds, but who could blame her?

Mommy however got reprimanded for bringing my cinnamon latte into the exam room. But can you blame me? Right as you walk into the hospital, they have an espresso cart that telepathically shouts to all passerbys, "YOU NEED CAFFEINE!" I was powerless. And it was sooooo worth getting yelled at. Bwaaa haaa haa. Don't mess with my lattes. I mean it. Step away from my foam.

Our next CF appointment isn't until October, where she'll have a chest x-ray and have blood drawn. Poor baby.

Froggydadda and I are on cloud nine today. There is just nothing better than having a healthy kid. Nothing. We are so lucky.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm shouting "AHHH"...can you hear me all the way from this side of town? and i love the cool t shirt logo. highly appropriate. nice report. jcn

MONSTER said...

Oh, thank goodness. Congratulations on keeping that little Froggy healthy, yay!

Casey said...

YAY YAY YAY!!!! I'm thrilled about the great appointment and I am keeping all things crossed from the swap results. GO FROGGY!!!!!

Zuska said...

Such wonderful news! She looks so damned healthy and radiant in all her photos, I'm sort of not surprised! Yippee for a healthy girl!

T-Rex said...

WooHOo to a healthy froggy!! :)

Mieke said...

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!!!