Saturday, November 17, 2007

Poem: "Loss and Gain" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Public domain.


Loss and Gain

When I compare
What I have lost with what I have gained,
What I have missed with what attained,
Little room do I find for pride.

I am aware
How many days have been idly spent;
How like an arrow the good intent
Has fallen short or been turned aside.

But who shall dare
To measure loss and gain in this wise?
Defeat may be victory in disguise;
The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide.

by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


If you don't read The Writer's Almanac everyday, you're missing out.

Everyday, no matter how busy, I read today's poem in The Writer's Almanac. It's one of my daily joys, like the moment my head hits the pillow, or my first sip of coffee in the morning, or when Froggy leans back, nestling her head against my chest, or when FD says, "pretty mama," -those things that make the dishes, the laundry, the grind all worth it. The Writer's Almanac is my moment of "oh yeah, that's why we're here". Enjoy.

No comments: